Several years ago my husband and his siblings helped his mother move from the home of their childhood to a long term care home. This involved dividing lots and lots of stuff including some furniture.
One of the things he brought home was a chunky dresser. It provides tons of great storage, but looked blah and worn. It got stuck in the back of the basement where it stayed for quite a while.
I debated what to do with it. Its body was strangely orange-ish and needed some pizzazz, but the drawers had a great grain pattern. My father-in-law had already tried stripping it, and the body still did not dazzle. Still, I hated to add paint to the drawers.
Finally, my husband decided we should paint it black and add some gilding. I bought black paint with the intent to do just that, but when I began putting the paint on it went on in a streaky way that I loved.
So, mid-project I changed it up. I placed painter’s tape down each side of the front and in the shape of an X with a box around it on the sides. Then I did a very fast coat of my streaky black paint on the top, sides and front frame of the piece. I left the drawers alone.
Once it dried I pulled off the tape revealing a one-of-a-kind piece of furniture. The whole project took about an hour and a half and netted me great storage.
I had read that minor scratches on wood can be diminished if you rub them with a walnut. Since there were several scratches along the drawer edges I decided to try this and bought my bag of nuts. As I took a photo of the bag I realized I had pecans! So, this became an experiment to see if other nuts worked as well.
What I found is that rubbing the nut along the wood releases the nut’s natural oil which the wood happily drinks in. It works well on minor scratches. One drawer had a chunk out of one corner. I went ahead and rubbed it as well. Though the change was not significant I thought it did look nicer after, not as dry and jagged. (Before and after below.)
Before and after of drawer scrapes…
This drawer had a two inch scrape along the top trim bead which is hardly visible now.
This little bit of attention elevated this piece from the back of the basement to the master bedroom. It has helped me alleviate the crush and over stuffing of the other drawers and shelves in our room.
My Wm. Morris project of the week.
Also linking at House of the Hepworths, Miss Mustard Seed’s, Feathered Nest Friday, Whipperberry, Chic on a Shoestring, The Shabby Nest, Funky Junk Interiors,Metamorphosis Monday, Topsy, Turvy Tuesdays, Delightful Order.